Posts Tagged ‘hot air balloons’
This month, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is celebrated in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The festival began in 1972 and is celebrated during the first weeks of October. Here are some fun facts about the festival.
* When the event began in 1972, there were just 13 balloons featured in the festival. Now there are over 500 hot air balloons in the festival!
* The event is held for 9 days.
* People from over 20 different countries participate in the event.
* In recent years, over 80,000 people have attended the event.
* Besides the wonderful hot air balloons at the festival, visitors can also enjoy music, food, and other educational activities.
* If you plan in advance, you can book a ride on a hot air balloon during the festival!
Teachers, direct your students to SIRS Discoverer to learn more about this festival and about hot air balloons. Here are some resources to get you started: