Women’s History Month on ProQuest SIRS Discoverer
March is Women’s History Month. Take this opportunity to research the countless women who have contributed to history. President Barack Obama issued a proclamation stating that “during Women’s History Month, we recognize the victories, struggles, and stories of the women who have made our country what it is today.” Women’s History Month corresponds with International Women’s Day and women all over the world have contributed to women’s history.
ProQuest SIRS Discoverer has endless content on women who have contributed to science, government, and human rights:
- Anne Frank kept a diary about her life hiding from the Nazis and became world famous after her early death.
- Elizabeth Blackwell was born in England and became the first female doctor in America.
- Frances Perkins was the first woman to hold a U.S. Cabinet office. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt appointed her as Secretary of Labor in 1932.
- Grace Hopper was an admiral in the U.S. Navy and computer scientist–she pioneered “user-friendly” computer software and she also coined the computer term “bug.”
- Juliette Gordon Low founded the Girl Guides which eventually became the Girl Scouts.
- Malala Yousafzai was shot by the Taliban–she became a worldwide advocate for the education of girls.
- Marie Curie performed groundbreaking work in physics and was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize.
- Sandra Day O’Connor is a retired judge and the first female U.S. Supreme Court justice.
Join SIRS Discoverer’s March Spotlight of the Month in honoring Women’s History Month. Learn about the women’s suffrage movement in the United States, meet African-American women who have changed history, read about early female politicians, follow women’s increasing role in the military, and celebrate women’s scientific achievements. Perhaps you will become inspired to thank a woman who has made a positive impact in your life!
Latest posts by Ilana Cohen (see all)
- 5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day with Your Students - April 5, 2017
- SIRS Discoverer Spotlight of the Month: Women’s History Month - March 8, 2017
- SIRS Discoverer Spotlight of the Month: Black History Month - February 8, 2017
This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 9th, 2016 at 7:30 am and is filed under General, SIRS Discoverer. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.